When looking for treadmills for an apartment there are usually two concerns. The first being is how noisy is it and will it disturb my neighbors (if I am on the second floor or above) and secondly how much space does it need (especially when you have a small apartment).
What To Consider When Buying Treadmills For Apartments
Using a treadmill can be a noisy experience – with the noise of the belt, the pounding of feet on it – and it can vibrate as well. This can all be annoying to your neighbors. An elliptical trainer is a quieter solution that will also help with your fitness.
The type of building also plays a part. Those building made of solid concrete will be much better at absorbing the noise than some of the house conversions and newer builds made of lighter materials.
However, there are some things you can do to help with the noise;
1. Place a mat under the treadmill to absorb some of the shock and vibration. Many people talk how much this quietens the impact of running.
2. Place the treadmill near a corner with load bearing walls as there will be less “play” in the floor thereby reducing the vibration caused by running.
3. Make sure your treadmill is properly adjusted. The treadmill needs to be completely level and not moving up and down as this will cause unnecessary vibrations and squeaks. Also, make sure all the fittings are tightened correctly for a safe and quieter treadmill experience.
4. You may want to discuss with your neighbors your proposed exercise routine, for good neighbor relations. You might be able to work out a routine between yourselves that is good for them as well as for yourself. Especially if you intend to use the treadmill for running rather than for walking only.
5. Look to buy the quietest treadmill you can afford. Here are our recommendations for quiet treadmills.
The other consideration for most people looking to buy a treadmill for their apartment is the amount of space required for it, especially in a smaller apartment.
When you buy a smaller or compact treadmill you will lose out on the running area. If you are tall, over 5’8″ you may find yourself too cramped without the room to stretch out fully when running fast. There is a limited choice when it comes to compact treadmills as most manufacturers have stopped making them, probably because of the lack of running room.
The other option is to buy a folding treadmill which you can fold away and store out of the way when not in use. There are a number of options here, with a number receiving good ratings for providing a safe and a satisfactory work out as well as being easy to fold up and store.
2 Popular Choices When Searching For A Treadmill For An Apartment:
1. Horizon Evolve SG Compact Treadmill
The Horizon Evolve SG Compact Treadmill comes with a jogging area of 17″ x 45″ which is probably OK for walking and jogging. It needs an area of 59 x 23 x 48 inches. This treadmill folds down to 59″ by 10″ for easy storage under a bed, in a cupboard or behind furniture. Its weight is just under 100 pound at 99. It arrives fully assembled so no messing about, plug it in and you are up and running after allowing it to warm up as per instruction manual. The manufacturers warranty covers the frame for 10 years, the motor for 5 years, and electrical components, parts and labor for one year.
2. LifeSpan Fitness TR1200i Folding Treadmill
The LifeSpan Fitness TR1200i Folding Treadmill has a belt are of 20 by 56 inches which is good for walking and jogging. It also folds down to a small width of 33 inches which is good for storing out of the way. When in use it requires an area of 74 x 33 x 54 inches and weighs a 198 pounds. There is very little assembly required when it is delivered. The manufacturers warranty covers the frame for a lifetime, 5 years on the motor and 1 year on the labor.
Our top pick of these 2 treadmills is the LifeSpan Fitness TR1200i Floding Treadmill because it is very quiet, easy to fold down and put away. It is ideal for those who have space as a priority and want to use the treadmill for walking and light jogging.
Our Top Pick: LifeSpan Fitness TR1200i Folding Treadmill